Friday, June 19, 2015

The World of Acapella

So this time I'm going to talk something a bit different which is acapella. I believe not many of you know what is acapella. Acapella mean singing without instrumental accompaniment and only make sound or sing using our body parts......Errr..... I mean our mouth, hands or legs.

There are a lot of different kind of acapella genre which included madrigal group, Barbershop Quartet, Doo-wop quartet, Close harmony/vocal jazz group and vocal band etc. But the current trend of acapella is vocal jazz and vocal band.

An acapella singing group normally have more than four members which consist of a lead vocal singer, backup vocal singer, bass and a beatboxer. The more the members the more diverse of the group is. 

The reason why I like acapella singing is because of the movie Pitch Perfect that released in 2012.
The movie give me so much inspiration and passion about acapella singing. By only making sound using their mouth is not just cool but can be done anywhere anytime which is good for me because I dont't know how to play any instrument (*sad*).

Here is one of the performance in the Pitch Perfect movie:


After I have watched the movie several times, I feel like I had not get enough of it. So after that I found out that there is an acapella competition in US called The Sing Off. After since I keep watching that competition and learn a lot more about acapella which gave me such a rush about it.

Here are of my favourite performance in the Sing Off (skip to 1.45 for the singing part):

Acapella singing group not just only an entertainment but some of them also make a career out of it.
For an instant, Pentatonix (Sing Off season 2 winner). Pentatonix is now one of the most well known acapella group in the world with a lot of sold out performance around the world. 

If you haven't heard of Pentatonix here is one of their performance:


As much as I have learned about acapella, acapella can produce more different and diverse sound than the electronic sound that music industries can produces. This is one of the reason why I think acapella is way more cooler than the instrumental music.

As much as I talk about my passion toward acapella, Malaysia still seen not yet famous or well-known with acapella singing yet. WHY?? In my opinion, I'm think that Malaysia music industries is still far behind than other foreign country. This is why is it not weird that acapella isn't famous here.

 But I hope acapella can be more happening here by introducing it in every university or other institutes including here in UTAR. How??? Maybe open an singing basic classes or club or even society to build their interest in singing and then introduce them the awesomeness of acapella.

Malaysia has so many international artist and singer that famous worldwide but most of them get signed or attached to big company oversea and never came back to Malaysia to continue their career here. Why? One of the factor is because most of the Malaysian is quite close-minded and can't accept certain kind of genre of music. Without a great influence of a singer and local musics is hard to inject the interest of singing to the society and therefore the harder to put the interest of acapella to them.

As time flies, we are still way behind the trend and the music is keep evolving. Meanwhile acapella singing style is reaching a whole new level. Therefore, to anyone who love singing or acapella please don't hesitate to contact me and let's meet up and make this happen!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment